Tuesday, March 10, 2009

I don't think I like Italian-German food!


Last week was primarily 2 classes: Semiotics (the study of signs) and Rural Economy. Both were very conceptual and really, neither are among my favorites so far. Also, I gave a presentation on powdered milk for the conclusion of food technology. At the last minute, we were told that there would be no classes on Monday...3 day weekend! A friend and I decided to go to Trento (as in "The Council of Trent"), which is in a northern province bordering Austria, Trentino-Alto Adige. I mostly wanted to go because I had never been in this region and I needed to cross another off my list. It was a very pretty city, surrounded by snow covered mountains, but very confusing. Not only was everything now labeled in both Italian and German, the food was this very odd mixture of the two. On Saturday evening, I joined a group of Trentini at a place resembling very much a biergarten (?) complete with platters of sausages (both Italian and German style), sauerkraut, potatoes, and mustard, with lots off beer to wash it down. The next night was local spinach gnocchi with house brewed beer and rye bread, with strudel for dessert. It was like a weird dream, and I'm still not sure what I think about it! But now only 3 regions remain on my "never eaten a traditional meal there" list. So I feel accomplished.

No comments:

Post a Comment