Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Osteria Francescana

Chef Massimo Bottura explaining his creations


This past weekend, I experienced perhaps the most interesting meal of my life so far. An example of the main strength of the university- CONNECTIONS- my colleagues and I enjoyed a private lunch at a restaurant ranking 13th in the world on the Pellegrino list. Chef Massimo Bottura, who visited the school in July, opened his restaurant, Osteria Francescana, exclusively for us. We enjoyed a 10 course meal with 3 wines, and were given explanations by the chef for each dish. We were 11 in number, there were 6 waitstaff. The meal was followed by a Bottura led tour of the restaurant, including his own private office and experimental kitchen. Though I have certainly read and studied it, this was my first actual encounter with molecular gastronomy (a growing movement which combines food memories and cool science to create mind blowing, convention altering dishes.) I will NEVER forget this meal!


The unassuming entrance...they were waiting for us at the door when we got out of the taxi.


Bring it on! Myself, Morimi, and Mandy waiting for the show to begin.


Interpretation of a Mortadella panino (or Bologna Sandwich). Mortadella mouse, gnoccho bread, powdered pistachios.

Foie Gras popsicle, coated with caramelized hazelnuts and almonds, with a 40 yr. old apple balsamic vinegar filling.

"Earth", lots of braised leeks, porcini, and truffles.

Parmigiano 5 ages, 5 ways.


Pasta e Fagioli

Ravioli filled with Lambrusco steamed cotecchino and black lentils.


Veal cheek with jus, over potatoes, with clorophyll on the plate.

"Garden," a surprising, yet aptly named sweet and sour vegetable palate cleanser.

Chocolate-Cherry explosion

Deconstructed Zuppa Inglese, a popular trifle dessert from the area.


And of course coffee to end the meal with petits fours



2 comments:

  1. And you can fix all this for us when you come home?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Right! I would only need about $50,000 worth of toys and a hefty staff.

    ReplyDelete